Sunday, October 11, 2015

Ideals

I am not an idealist. Do not accuse me of that.

But I do have ideals. Chief among them is a simple, unrealistic desire: world peace. Wouldn't it be great? Of course it would. This isn't to say that a peaceful world would entirely lack drama, and thus fulfillment. Rather, no country would go to war. 

Since I am not an idealist, I do not care to explore the ramifications of that statement. I need to express this ideal to justify what is to come: a brief discussion on the merits of Donald Trump. As this pains me, I will make this short. 

Of all the candidates in the second Republican presidential debate (the adult's table), Trump was the most reasonable. Honest expressions of his own ideals somehow got mixed in with his trademark petty cruelty.

To be fair, if I had to live with an alien parasite attached to my head, I would also become petty and cruel.

The ideals he expressed were similar to mine. Trump made it very clear that he does not believe in warmongering, and that Reaganomics is just another form of warmongering. He called out Jeb Bush in particular, the less charismatic Bush Bro, for being both a warmonger and a coward. He did the same for many of the other candidates. 

Trump was right. He may be wrong about many, many other things, but he managed to call out and expose the brutal nature of establishment politics in America on a national stage. That is impressive, and for this alone he deserves credit. 

That is all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment